Accurate measurements of the speed through water of moving vessels are useful for a variety of applications including vessel fuel optimisation, hull performance, and docking and navigation in constrained areas. When considering vessel fuel consumption per day, accurate speed measurements are essential for avoiding sub-optimal speeds and large additional costs. This results from the fact that just a small variation in speed can greatly impact fuel efficiency.
Enhance ship performance and reduce vessel fuel consumption with more accurate data
Run more efficient operations, and be prepared for the IMO’s 2020 sulphur cap
None of the maintenance and installation challenges associated with equipment below the waterline
Miros Speed Through Water is a game-changer for vessel fuel efficiency and performance monitoring. From single ships to full fleets, this technology can equip shipowners and fleet managers with the data they need to run optimal operations, cut bunker-related costs, and drive down the bottom line.
The challenge of accurately measuring speed through water:
- Vessel and propeller motion, as well as air bubbles cause disturbances that lead to “noisy” data
- Error-prone speed logs
- Having to rely on forecast data
- Fouling of underwater monitoring equipment
- High installation and maintenance costs related to submerged equipment
- Current methods lead to inaccurate vessel performance optimisation
- Requires time-consuming calibration of submerged equipment
Miros Wavex technology introduces the following benefits:
- More accurate measurements for input to vessel fuel consumption and performance optimisation
- Accurate, reliable data undisturbed by vessel motion and propellers
- More accurate current calculations when evaluating routes
- Significant fuel consumption savings
- No costs related to installation and maintenance of underwater equipment
- No need for calibration using submerged reference equipment
- Wavex can be interfaced to existing X-band radar
What is Wavex?
Wavex is a dry sensor that leverages X-band navigation radar technology for surface current measurements. The sensor delivers highly accurate real-time data undisturbed by air bubbles, turbulence or other interferences caused by vessel motion. Wavex does away with the time- and cost-related challenges of installing and maintaining underwater equipment and can be interfaced with existing marine X-band radar without any need for calibration.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more than 35 years, Miros has provided accurate, reliable ocean-monitoring systems to the maritime industry. Our expertise lies in measuring local environmental conditions and making the data accessible in real time, on- or offshore.
Discover Relevant Content
With Miros Speed Through Water being launched at Nor-Shipping this week, we posed a few frequently asked questions to our team.
Looking ahead to the IMO’s 2020 sulphur cap, we assess the challenges facing operators and discuss how Miros Speed Through Water can help cut the costs associated with running compliant, efficient operations in the future.